At the Institute of Nuclear Techniques of the Budapest University of Technology and Economics, we traditionally apply the following reactor physics codes:
- Monte-Carlo-based particle transport codes: MCNP and Serpent;
- deterministic neutron transport codes:
while we also have experience with the application of the diffusion code C-PORCA developed at the Reactor Physics Department of the Paks Nuclear Power Plant.
The reactor physics research activities conducted at our Institute are mainly focused on the following areas:
The Multiphysics Research Group established at the end of 2019 brings together the reactor physics related research activities in our Institute. Operating the BME Training Reactor complements the theoretical research as measurements can help validating the codes and code systems developed by our researchers.
Our Institute has active cooperation with the following universities and research institutes within the field of reactor physics:
- Delft University of Technology ( TU Delft);
- Slovak University of Technology in Bratislava ( STU);
- Chalmers University of Technology;
- Institute for Integrated Radiation and Nuclear Science, Kyoto University (KURNS);
- École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne ( EPFL) and Paul Scherrer Institute ( PSI);
- Commissariat à l’énergie atomique et aux énergies alternatives ( CEA), Université de Nantes and SUBATECH;
- Karlsruhe Institute of Technology ( KIT) and Gesellschaft für Anlagen- und Reaktorsicherheit ( GRS).